Welcome to Magical Kenya: Deutsch | Franšais | Italiano | 日本人 | русский
Advertise on MagicalKenya.com
 
 
Home › Golf Safari
Muthaiga Golf Club
Muthaiga Golf Club
Muthaiga enjoys the influential position of having been one of the Kenya's pioneer golf courses and it serves as a home to the Kenya Golf Union and plays host to the most prestigious golfing event in the country, The Kenya Open.

The course club is situated at the Kiambu Road towards Kiambu about 200 metres (220 yards), further on the left. The original nine holes were laid out at Muthaiga in 1913 and the club foundation stone was laid in 1912 and the golf course become an amenity for the club members and their friends.

Muthaiga lies at the edge of Karura forest and so sports many indigenous trees. The suburb Muthaiga was actually named after the Kenya greenheart, or as the Kikuyu call it, The " muthiga" tree, Known for its healing properties.

The golf club has the "muthiga" tree on its coat of arms. A variety of trees and flowering bushes not only come into play on almost every hole, but also make this course one of the prettiest to play. By 1926 the course was later extended to eighteen holes to accommodate the growing membership.

The club decided to take on Associate members who later formed the Associate Members clubhouse which then became the clubhouse for the entire golfing section in 1921. The Golf Clubs Cadre of proficient caddies is at your disposal. Most of these men are sufficiently low-handicapped players themselves that their advice is well heeded on questionable distances and shots.

Muthaiga is still noted for it's very fine greens which gives the club a beautiful layout and one that has may challenges in store for both the regular and the visiting golfers.
 
 

Share this Page

Follow Magical Kenya on Pinterest
Featured Golf Course in Kenya
Windsor Golf Hotel & Country Club
The course was cut out of native trees, typical of the wetter side of Nairobi, predominately the giant diospyros of the ebony family, “ithare”, and the huge “mukui” seen by the river.