In 1906, a nine-hole golf course and club house was started. The Royal Golf Club ("Royal" adapted by King George V) which was the first course in Kenya, initially measured 5 x 4 metres, but was later extended by 429 acres in 1927.
Although challenging and fun to play, the front nine holes have a
different look to them than the back nine. This has a lot to do with the
difference in the lay of the terrain on which the two sides were
The front side is relatively flat, while the back nine have
a characteristic of a rolling hillside. The course is very well
It can be played throughout the year as a sophisticated course-wide
irrigation system is available. The hallmarks of this club are the tees
and greens. Without exception these are the largest tees found in Kenya.
The greens hold the ball very well and at the same time provide a quick
The finishing eighteenth hole is the only watering
hole on the course. Flowering bushes and a huge assortment of tree
species lend colour and aesthetic appeal to the course. Located in
Nairobi's Ngong Road, with a panoramic view of the Ngong Hills as one
drives up to the club's entrance.
The Golf Clubs first East African
Ladies' championship was held in 1932 under the patronage of The Kenya
Golf Union (K.G.U). The tees, which consist of various types of players,
that is, Championship, Medal and Ladies' are the largest in Kenya.